HEY YOU! NOGOODFORME.COM is now found at...NOGOODFORME.COM! You've stumbled upon our old mirror site instead. Please point your browsers to NOGOODFORME.COM instead and update your newsfeed to http://feeds.feedburner.com/nogoodforme/tYOS. Thanks and we shall see you at NOGOODFORME.COM!
Tuesday , December 14, 2010
Sick: A Love Story
One of the most important media events of my youth was this fashion spread that appeared on the pages of Details magazine in '93: It was all made up to look like scenes from a short film, starring Sofia Coppola, her then-beau Anthony Kiedis, and one Miss Debbie Harry. The premise is that Debbie's a wicked-fairy-godmother type who's plotting to transform Anthony into some sort of rock-and-roll phenom, dragging him all around New York City for makeovers and extravagant flea-market shopping sprees. Then the virtuous Sofia whisks him away and they hang out at a guitar shop with Sonic Youth for a while, till they somehow end up back in Debbie's clutches. Then Anthony flees again, chased down the Bowery by a throng of screaming fans, all whilst wearing only his knickers (of course!).
Got all that? I was gonna post the entire spread here, but it ended up being like the most gigantic thing ever and really unwieldy. So here's just a few of my favorite shots.
1. This is the opening photo, though the spread did also feature a fold-out fake-movie-poster thing emblazoned with the make-believe film title (Sick). I tried to scan that but it came out all stupid.
2. This shot's pretty grainy but I just hugely dig that jacket. I hope he ended up buying it.
3. This is the lovers escaping evil Debbie. Look how cute! Although I don't understand what Sofia's wearing!
4. And here we are in the guitar shop with Kim Gordon and...a bunch of random dudes. Can you spot Thurston?
5. That is a hot car. Nice job, Debbie. R.I.P., CBGB.
6. OMG, it's Sofia and Debbie in love! But what most fascinates me most about this shot is that bottle of Budweiser planted right before Sofia. Do you think she really drank it?
7. And here's the closer. Anthony's my favorite ever, so I find this infinitely charming. Equally charming is the fact that he and Sofia had such similar hair throughout their courtship. Have you ever dated somebody who had the same hair as you? I tried it once and it was a trip and a half. Highly recommended.
Share | | | |