HEY YOU! NOGOODFORME.COM is now found at...NOGOODFORME.COM! You've stumbled upon our old mirror site instead. Please point your browsers to NOGOODFORME.COM instead and update your newsfeed to http://feeds.feedburner.com/nogoodforme/tYOS. Thanks and we shall see you at NOGOODFORME.COM!
Tuesday , December 14, 2010
Happy Birthday, Rodney Bingenheimer! (12 Ways to Celebrate the Mayor of the Sunset Strip)
Rodney Bingenheimer (aka Rodney on the Roq, The Mayor of the Sunset Strip, THE MOST LEGENDARY RADIO DJ THAT HAS EVER WALKED THE EARTH) turns 61-years-young today! Here are 12 ways to honor his godheadness.
1. Time travel back to 12 a.m. Pacific time this morning/last night and listen to Rodney's radio show while drinking many cans of Diet Rite.
2. Look at lots of pictures of Rodney. Here's Rodney with KISS, and with Debbie Harry.
3. Joyfully exclaim "It's all happening!" at least five times before sundown. Almost Famous didn't invent that shit: Rodney did.
4. Drink another Diet Rite and listen to Rodney's life story in his own words, as told in "Rodney" by the GTOs. Rodney gets beaten up by Brian Jones! But he's better in bed than Ringo Starr! (Download at WFMU's Beware of the Blog.)
5. Watch this video of Rodney introducing Brian Wilson to Ronnie Spector's version of "Don't Worry, Baby," then slug your heart and tear up a little. Then go watch Mayor of the Sunset Strip in its entirety.
6. Stop by Canter's at nighttime and sit somewhere near Rodney's booth, but totally chicken out on talking to him and instead walk over to the bakery for a piece of chocolate rugelach. Or, just go say hi! He's supernice, for sure.
7. Download "Rodney on the ROQ" by Brian Wilson, and listen over and over and over and feel really happy about everything in the world. It's here. P.S. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS YOU WILL REGRET IT FOREVER.
8. Gaze sighingly at this photo of Rodney and Grunge Keanu Reeves. Yowza.
9. Buy Liz Barker a copy of The Best of Rodney on the ROQ. It's her own birthday in 13 days, after all.
10. Then go buy Liz Barker whichever Modern Folk Quartet record has "This Could Be the Night" so she doesn't have to wait till Rodney's show's on and/or play this YouTube video every time she wants to hear its dreaminess:
11. Don't subject yourself to J.P. Manoux's criminally bad Rodney impression in that goddamn What We Do Is Secret movie. In fact, a good way to celebrate life in general would be to never see What We Do Is Secret.
12. Go find Rodney's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (it's in front of the DSW at Hollywood Galaxy Mall), have a seat on the sidewalk, listen to Sonny & Cher and the Ramones and X and Oasis and the Ting Tings and the Byrds on your headphones. Drink a can of Diet Rite. Life is good and grand, because there is Rodney Bingenheimer. Happy birthday, Rodney! It's all happening!
Share | | | |