HEY YOU! NOGOODFORME.COM is now found at...NOGOODFORME.COM! You've stumbled upon our old mirror site instead. Please point your browsers to NOGOODFORME.COM instead and update your newsfeed to http://feeds.feedburner.com/nogoodforme/tYOS. Thanks and we shall see you at NOGOODFORME.COM!
Tuesday , December 14, 2010
Laura Jane Gives Back: HELP ME HELP ERADICATE ANOREXIA FOREVER!
Dear Friends & Lovers:
In exactly three weeks, I will be turning twenty-four years old. 24 is a very special birthday for me because a) it is my champagne birthday, b) I love the number 24 and am very superstitious about it (every day, at 6:24 PM- my birthday time!- I make a wish. I would do it at 6:24 AM, too, but I am very rarely awake at 6:24 AM), and c), it is "twenty-four and there's so much more" age. I am excited to be the most Neil Young-oriented amount of years old a person could possibly be.
Somehow, in a surprise victory against all my most negative tendencies, I grew the fuck up this past year. Which means that I am now way less selfish than I used to be; occasionally, I am even selfless! Mind-blowing news, yes, I know. My point is, really, that I don't want really want clothes or records for my birthday this year.
ALL I WANT FOR MY TWENTY-FOURTH BIRTHDAY IS TO HELP MAKE IT BE THAT NOBODY EVER HAS ANOREXIA AGAIN- or at least do my part to help other people who are suffering. Some other sub-goals of mine are: to educate as many people as I can about what anorexia really is; assist the loved ones of suffering anorexics with understanding how best to deal with what I know can be a terrifying situation, and; hopefully inspire other human beings who have lived through, or are living with, an eating disorder to be open with themselves and the Universe about what this experience truly constitutes. WE CANNOT SUFFER IN SILENCE! NO MORE SHAME!
Over the course of my being sick, I have fallen victim to millions of setbacks stemming from the innocent ignorance of my friends, family, everyone, and anyone, which I mainly attribute to the media's massive misrepresentation of the anorexic experience. I want to aid in rectifying this by writing a sort of "The Young Person's Guide to Anorexia"-style article, to be posted to nogoodforme.com on Wednesday, June 24th, 2009- my 24th birthday. Writing this will be my gift to myself.
Now for the part where you come in. I have a metric fuck-ton of things I can, want, and need to write down, but- I know exactly what the anorexic experience is like, and require that a significant portion of this piece is directed at people who don't know. I would love for this piece to benefit from the voices, stories, contributions, and questions of as many people as possible. Please send any information or inquiries at all whatsoever (seriously! ANYTHING!) to laurajanefaulds@gmail. Here are some jumping-off points to give you all an idea of what I am looking for:
1. This piece will undoubtedly be focused on anorexia, since I have no idea what it is like to have any other eating disorder. If you have dealt with bulimia or binge-eating in your life, I would HUGELY appreciate you sending me along as much "insider information" about your experience as possible, so that this article can be more inclusive.
2. Questions about how the hell to deal with it when someone in your life is obviously suffering. I know how helpless this can make people feel; I have watched it happen to everyone I love most in the world. Seriously, though- I CAN, AND WILL, HELP YOU THROUGH IT.
3. General questions about what it's actually like to have anorexia. Is there anything you've always wondered, or that has totally baffled you about how this happens to people? Ask me now! This is your chance! Don't be shy! In this life, there is no such thing as a stupid question.
4. If you have suffered or are suffering from anorexia, PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORY WITH ME.
5. Honestly, anything in the entire world. Just write it, and send it, and know that, in doing so, you are helping me help make the world a better place. If you like me at all, and want to give me a birthday present, your assistance with this project is ALL I WANT FOR MY BIRTHDAY!
Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Also, PLEASE forward this along to everybody you've ever met in your entire life.
Happy Early 24th, Laura Jane!
Laura Jane, the most selfless Saint who ever lived (HA HA HA)
Share | | | |