HEY YOU! NOGOODFORME.COM is now found at...NOGOODFORME.COM! You've stumbled upon our old mirror site instead. Please point your browsers to NOGOODFORME.COM instead and update your newsfeed to http://feeds.feedburner.com/nogoodforme/tYOS. Thanks and we shall see you at NOGOODFORME.COM!
Tuesday , December 14, 2010
Imaginary Shopping Spree: Huset Extravaganza
As we head into the last quarter of 2009, I like to revisit the intentions I set out for myself in the New Year and reevaluate depending on how my needs and desires have shifted, as needs and desires often do. Cultivated my inner Dita Von Teese? Check, right down to the super-hot lingerie and red lipstick. Simplicity and clarity? That's an ongoing project, and I don't mind making out like a conceptual artist to help me reach that total Zen-ness that will help me be a more beatific human being, bring beauty and justice to the world, and help nogoodforme in its quest for total world domination. The latest thing I have been into, having stumbled upon the idea while writing our epic series of entries on our Favorite Records Of All Time, is cultivating my inner Scandinavian. (Who knew enlightenment could come via Facebook quizzes?) Whether it's the Swedish concept of lagom or the Danish idea of hygge, I love the core of coziness, intimacy, modesty and practicality that seems to be a hallmark of the Scandinavian lifestyle -- who doesn't love those things, especially as winter approaches and all you want to do is cuddle up in your house with tea and wool socks in front of a fire? Yet this is also a region where doom/death/black metal thrives, where the nights get long as knives and people go fucking mental when they drink 'cause they just can't handle it. Cozy 'n happy AND dark 'n hedonistic? SIGN ME UP. Step one in cultivating my spiritual Scandinavian: coveting various objects of the remarkable design culture coming out of northern Europe, many superlative examples of which can be found at my new favorite website, Huset, one of the most kick-ass online shops devoted to the modern Scandinavian aesthetic awesome. I hunt this site like a polar bear hunts a seal in the Arctic circle: with fierce intensity and concentration because I WANT I WANT I WANT.
(1) Everyone I know has mixed feelings about clogs, but how could you not love these APPLE GREEN ones? If I wore these, I'd be skipping by the harbor every day for the rest of my life.
(2) You should click through and check out the larger picture of this hoodie by Stylein; it's got that clean yet poetic thing happening and looks so cozzzzzzzzzzy.
(3) I only ever understood that Rachel Zoe "I DIE" thing once I saw this keychain by Malene Birger, because, really, how can you NOT die from adorableness? Gah!
(4) I have nothing to say about this lamp other than I think it's really beautiful, and looking at furniture makes me feel poor.
(5) This Dagmar Tiffany dress is the Laura Jane Faulds of Huset dress. I'd give it to her if I didn't have to save up for goddamn estimated tax payments to the United States government. I mean, I don't mind paying higher taxes a la northern Europe if WE GOT SOMETHING FOR IT BESIDES WAR AND ARMS.
(6) This model wearing the Day Birger et Mikkelsen Rouge top is so happy because this shirt is so perfectly simple yet awesome with the beautiful pleated front and that gorgeously curved neckline.
(7) This model is also thinking, "God, Kat Asharya is going to really want this Day Birger et Mikkelsen smoking shirt because it's boyish and gamine yet impeccably designed. Good Lord!"
(8) This is a frickin' TEA TOWEL?!!!! I would hang this up on my wall, that's how cute it is!
(9) This Gustavsberg coffee cup and saucer would make me really happy to wake up in the morning, just so I can have my coffee and be confronted with its adorability. If only all relationships could feel this way!
(10) These animal flower postcards by Hanna Werning! SUPER-CUTE! Ah!
(11) This IIS of Norway Angelika tunic is kind of the only thing I want to wear this winter.
(12) This Ivana Helsinki sweater tunic is the only other thing I want to wear this winter.
(13) Wow, looking at this pillow makes me so happy! Imagine if I actually got to rest my head on it? What kind of wonderful dreams would I have, right?
(14) Hello, this Odd Molly dress is the Liz Barker of Huset dresses! I want Liz to do her Heidi braids and wear this while we go sailing through a fjord or something!
(15) This model is clearly exhausted from the weight of modelling these beautiful Japanese bracelets from Rabens Saloner. I also put the number 15 on her face; sucks to be her.
(16) This is the only time I ever looked at a jumpsuit and thought, "Oh, that's cool!" THE ONLY TIME. My friends, that is the magic of Scandinavian design.
Share | | | |